How do I enable Java in my web browser?
This article applies to:
- Platform(s): Macintosh OS X, Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista, Windows XP
Even after installing Java, Applets do not run.
Java is not enabled in the web browser. If Java is already installed but applets do not work, you need to enable Java through your web browser.
If you recently installed Java, you may need to restart your browser (close all browser windows and re-open), in order for the browser to recognize the installation. In addition, make sure Java content in the browser is enabled through the Java Control Panel.
Follow these instructions to enable Java though your Web browser.
- Click Tools and then Internet Options
- Select the Security tab, and select the Custom Level button
- Scroll down to Scripting of Java applets
- Make sure the Enable radio button is checked
- Click OK to save your preference
Chrome browser versions 42 and above. Starting with Chrome version 42 (released April 2015), Chrome has disabled the standard way in which browsers support plugins. More info
- Open the Firefox browser or restart it, if it is already running
- From the Firefox menu, select Tools, then click the Add-ons option
- In the Add-ons Manager window, select Plugins
- Click Java (TM) Platform plugin (Windows) or Java Applet Plug-in (Mac OS X) to select it
- Check that the option selected is Ask to Activate or Always Activate or on older Firefox versions, click on the Enable button (if the button says Disable, Java is already enabled)
- Click on Safari and select Preferences
- Choose the Security option
- Select Allow Plug-ins, then click on Manage Website Settings
- Click on the Java item, select an option (Ask, Allow or Allow Always) from the pulldown list When visiting other websites
- Click Done, then close the Safari Preferences window
Opera 4.x and Up
- Opera for Windows does not use Java, but an embedded version already inside the Opera Web browser.
- Opera for other platforms may supports Java . Please consult your Opera platform documentation.
- For further information, please review the following Opera Support article:
Support for Java software in Opera
You might also be interested in: