TimeWellScheduled is a web based time and attendance solution. This means you need nothing more than a web browser (we recommend FireFox for offline mode) to do EVERYTHING within TimeWellScheduled. You simply need to visit the website emailed to you when you signed up and enter your username and password.
How It Works
The main flow of the program is:
Create a schedule
Employee punches in/out based on the schedule
Manager/HR approves the timecard
HR exports the data to payroll
There are additional features like absence planning, availability, project tracking that can be used in addition to these.
How Do I Actually Punch In?
First you must create a schedule, then use one of the 4 buttons (explained below).
Entry/Exit – Once a schedule is created, use the ENTRY button when your shift is starting, and EXIT when the shift is done.
Meal/Break – Once a shift has started, use these buttons when you take or arrive back from a meal or break. These actions are NOT required, but if you deduct time for lunch for payroll, then it is recommended employees punch out. If they don’t then you will need to manually subtract lunch each timecard.
Administration – this button is used to access all other functions within the site like scheduling, timecards and payroll
I need help
If you’re stuck, use our online help (HELP button in the menu once you log in) that has videos and HOW TOs on the most common problems and questions.
I need MORE help
Email us at [email protected] where our team will be able to quickly help with any issues.
Create your departments
Click the MANAGE MY BUSINESS button
Click the MANAGE MY DEPARTMENTS link (top right)
Add as many departments as you need, giving them a name and department code. We suggest giving them a colour too, as this is used on the scheduling screen for split shifts to quickly recognize the different departments
If you make a mistake, highlight the row and select EDIT
Create your roles
Roles are used in alerting, so when an employee needs time off, or is late, anyone in the role they report too receives a message. By default, we’ve created some common roles but if you need to add more:
Click the MANAGE MY BUSINESS button
Click the MANAGE ROLES link (right side)
Click ADD A NEW ROLE
Complete the following fields:
- Name is the name of the role
- Level is used for a hierarchy, so we know that at the top is the business owner, then managers, and so on
- Alerts can be used so that employees in this role that go over or under are flagged on the scheduling screen (optional)
- Secondary notification allows someone in another role to be alerted when normal alerts reach this role. This is primarily used when business owners or managers want to be alerted when someone 2-3 roles lower does something
Add your employees
Click the MANAGE MY EMPLOYEES button
To add an employee, click ADD A NEW EMPLOYEE
To edit an employee, highlight the row and select EDIT
When adding an employee, some important areas:
Pick the employee’s primary department
Pick all the departments this employee can work
If the employee is a supervisor who you want to manage timecards, change their security to supervisor or manager
and then click off they are a supervisor and pick the departments they supervise
Define their roles
Pick their scheduling type
1. Scheduled and must check in/out – this is your standard employee, you create a schedule and they punch in and out based on that schedule. On days they do NOT have a schedule, you can turn ON the option to allow open schedule, see below for how this works.
2. Scheduled but does NOT need to check in/out – this is usually management, you want to show their schedule so everyone knows when they are in, but they don’t need to click in/out.
3. NOT scheduled and does NOT need to check in/out – use this for business owners or anyone you want to access the site, but doesn’t need to show on the scheduling screen.
4. NOT scheduled and can check in/out any time – use this for employees who have not set schedule. Just note that because we don’t know how long they will be working, we can’t put any restrictions on the number of breaks/meals they are allowed. And they can only work in their primary department, because when employees punch in, we check the schedule to know which department – since there is no schedule, it can only ever be their primary.
Create your schedule
Click the SCHEDULING button
Pick the department you want to schedule
Some key areas:
schedule when they log in
The hours and cost are only visible to admins/managers, not the employees
There are 5 ways to make a schedule:
Manual – drag and drop the timeband in the edition box, like ‘9AM 5PM’ in the edit box (if
the box is red, it isn’t right)
Timeband – a timeband is a predefined, single day schedule that you’ve given a real world
name to, like ‘Early Shift’ you set as 7AM to 3PM. Timebands are setup in the SETTINGS
button and can be added when pressing the green +
Templates – a template is like a timeband, but defines a whole week. So ‘M-F Day Shift’ can
be defined as MTWTF from 9AM to 5PM. Templates are setup in the SETTINGS button and
can be added when pressing the + BESIDE the employees name. If the week has started,
you can’t add a timeband.
- click this to follow the wizard on copying a departments schedule from one time
period to the next. So if you’ve setup the last 2 weeks, you can re-create this in just a few
Approve your timecards
- Click the ‘Time Card & Payroll’ button
- Click the ‘Review, Update and Approve Time Cards’ link (top left)
- When the timecards load, it will ONLY load UNAPPROVED timecards. A timecard requires approval if the employee has NOT punched in within the grace periods. Our system will calculate the least amount of time for the employee.
- Only approved timecards will be shown in payroll reports and exported to payroll.
- Approved timecard example:
- Unapproved timecard example:
- Alert icon – this shows the warnings that need your attention
- Edit icon – use this to edit the timecard:
- Scheduled – this is the number of hours expected to be paid
- Actual – this is what actually happened
- Paid – this is the one you can edit, click the EDIT icon to make the changes to the TOTAL
- HOURS match the final number you want to pay the employee. You can also ADD meals and
- breaks as needed here as well
- Approve and Close – when done, click this to save your changes and approve the timecard
Export to payroll
- Click the ‘Time Card & Payroll’ button
- Click the ‘Hours and Shift Preparation Report’ link (top right)
- Complete the desired date range, departments, and employees.
- Click VIEW REPORT • This report will contain the final APPROVED hours.
- You can now print the report or use the EXPORT TO link at the top right to export to your payroll system.
This is used to send/receive messages within the system. Alerts like absence requests or late employees are sent here. All messages are sent via email (and soon voice/SMS) and MUST be acknowledged in the system so you know they’ve been read.
Here your employees can request time off. All requests when added are pending until approved by their manager. Approved and pending requests appear on the scheduling page so you don’t forget they aren’t working.
Here employees can enter the times they ARE or ARE NOT available. Just like absences they must be approved and will show in the scheduling screen. These requests do NOT show in the absence reports though.
If you want to change the grace periods around each button (this is the amount of time an employee can clock in/out without generating a warning) you do this within MANAGE MY DEPARTMENTS.
Setting Up Payroll
- Click the MANAGE MY BUSINESS button
- Click the MANAGE MY PAYROLL, SHIFTS AND LABOUR REPORTS link (top right)
- The first option is to select the payroll system you use. Some like Ceridian requires you to enter a unique value for your company
My trial is almost over… what now?
5 days before you approach your trial end, you will see a message on your dashboard to record your credit card information. Once you’ve entered the details, the message will disappear and you continue with no interruption. If you don’t enter your credit card details, the trial will stop and you can no longer access the site.